RSS Exception: Cannot serialize newintelligence.DasBlog.Web.Services.Rss20.RssRoot

Topics: Support Request
Sep 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Edited Sep 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Hi all,

My fresh DasBlog install (v2.3) from WPI is throwing a serialization exception whenever RSS is accessed.  I've searched for the error on here and on the Internet in general but found nothing.

I've checked the prorerties on the folders in IIS 7 (Windows Server 2008 R1) and IIS_USRS have read/write permissions.

Does anybody know how I can resolve the exception?

Many thanks in advance.

The full error text is:  Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the
stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot serialize member of type newtelligence.DasBlog.Web.Services.Rss20.RssRoot:
XmlAnyElement can only be used with classes of type XmlNode or a type deriving from XmlNode.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request.

Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using

the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Cannot serialize member of type newtelligence.DasBlog.Web.Services.Rss20.RssRoot: 
XmlAnyElement can only be used with classes of type XmlNode or a type deriving from XmlNode.] System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportAccessorMapping(MemberMapping accessor, FieldModel model,
XmlAttributes a, String ns, Type choiceIdentifierType, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +869800 System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMemberMapping(XmlReflectionMember xmlReflectionMember, String ns,
XmlReflectionMember[] xmlReflectionMembers, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +722 System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMembersMapping(XmlReflectionMember[] xmlReflectionMembers, String ns,
Boolean hasWrapperElement, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +236 [InvalidOperationException: There was an error reflecting 'GetRssResult'.] System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMembersMapping(XmlReflectionMember[] xmlReflectionMembers, String ns,
Boolean hasWrapperElement, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +843 System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMembersMapping(String elementName, String ns, XmlReflectionMember[] members,
Boolean hasWrapperElement, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, XmlMappingAccess access) +130 System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapReflector.ImportMembersMapping(XmlReflectionImporter xmlImporter,
SoapReflectionImporter soapImporter, Boolean serviceDefaultIsEncoded, Boolean rpc, SoapBindingUse use, SoapParameterStyle paramStyle,
String elementName, String elementNamespace, Boolean nsIsDefault, XmlReflectionMember[] members, Boolean validate, Boolean openModel,
String key, Boolean writeAccess) +223 System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapReflector.ReflectMethod(LogicalMethodInfo methodInfo, Boolean client,
XmlReflectionImporter xmlImporter, SoapReflectionImporter soapImporter, String defaultNs) +2989 [InvalidOperationException: Method SyndicationServiceImplementation.GetRss can not be reflected.] System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapReflector.ReflectMethod(LogicalMethodInfo methodInfo, Boolean client,
XmlReflectionImporter xmlImporter, SoapReflectionImporter soapImporter, String defaultNs) +6527 System.Web.Services.Description.SoapProtocolReflector.ReflectMethod() +91 System.Web.Services.Description.ProtocolReflector.ReflectBinding(ReflectedBinding reflectedBinding) +1798 System.Web.Services.Description.ProtocolReflector.Reflect() +703 System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescriptionReflector.ReflectInternal(ProtocolReflector[] reflectors) +394 System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescriptionReflector.Reflect(Type type, String url) +109 System.Web.Services.Protocols.DocumentationServerType..ctor(Type type, String uri) +156 System.Web.Services.Protocols.DocumentationServerProtocol.Initialize() +284 System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocol.SetContext(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request,
HttpResponse response) +50 System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request,
HttpResponse response, Boolean& abortProcessing) +77 [InvalidOperationException: Unable to handle request.] System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request,
HttpResponse response, Boolean& abortProcessing) +285 System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type type, HttpContext context,
HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response) +183 [InvalidOperationException: Failed to handle request.] System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type type, HttpContext context,
HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response) +354 System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String verb,
String url, String filePath) +212 System.Web.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +307 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155

Server Error in '/blog' Application.

Cannot serialize member of type newtelligence.DasBlog.Web.Services.Rss20.RssRoot:
XmlAnyElement can only be used with classes of type XmlNode or a type deriving from XmlNode.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I've got it fixed: if anybody needs the solution, I had the lowercase rewrite rule turned on in IIS.  That was causing the error.  I shut that off for my blog and it all works a treat.