Adding static content to blog site

Topics: Developer Thread, Support Request
Sep 22, 2010 at 11:46 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Can someone give me some guidance on the best approach to add static content to my site (rather than a post)?  I just need to add static text and image banners to the side panel.  Users should see this content regardless of applied theme.  I'm trying to keep this simple.

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM

you need to consider the following: blog appearance (sidebars, sky image, etc) is defined in a theme files. When you change a theme, all this is changed. If you have defined custom banners, they will exist within defined theme only. In that case you need to edit homeTemplate.blogtemplate file in a corresponding theme folder.

If you are talking about custom web page (for example, www.blogname.com/custompage.aspx) you will have to create custom HTML file and make URL mapping in web.config file.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I've updated the default theme's homeTemplate.blogTemplate file and this works just fine but it seems cubersome to modify every theme just in case a user decides to use one of the non-default themes when they view my site. 

My scenario is pretty simple:  When I'm speaking at a conference or community event, I'd like to add a temporary banner to promote the event.  For example, I'm speaking at the PASS summit in November and I've modified the default theme template with banner images: http://www.sqlserverbiblog.com/.  Is there a simple way, using a site-level configuration to add this content for all themes?

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM

> I've updated the default theme's homeTemplate.blogTemplate file and this works just fine but it seems cubersome to modify every theme just in case a user decides to use one of the non-default themes when they view my site.

yes this is the only way to resolve your task. You should remove theme change option (looks like is already removed) and use fixed single theme for everyone. I have removed all themes except my own custom theme and mobile theme and haven't such issued.

> Is there a simple way, using a site-level configuration to add this content for all themes?

no, currently DasBlog don't provide this functionality.