vs2010, Sql CE4, EF 4 comments

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Spend some time with dasBlog the past couple of days and moved the current comment infrastructure from being filebased to SQL CE 4 based.

This requires some pre-release software [0,1] and I don't expect this to work on any commercial hosters yet:

[0] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlservercompact/archive/2010/07/07/introducing-sql-server-compact-4-0-the-next-gen-embedded-database-from-microsoft.aspx

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2010/07/14/ctp4announcement.aspx

Features that still need adding:

• Import of existing comments/trackings
  • Support for all kinds of tracking (referers etc.)
  • More logging (move the events to the SQL CE db (?))
  • Performance check (should be atleast as fast a the file based solution)

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Why EF?

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Other todos:

• Add support for "real" Sql servers
  • Add config options for configuring sql connectionstring

New features:

• Comment management pages
  • Add EventLog to SQL store
  • Invetigate + extent comment webpage

@Pretzelfisch:

Why not? Using EF the DB model is created for me, the coding experience is very natural and it supports a range of SQL servers (from Compact Edition, SQL Express, Sql Server to SQL Azure).

Other ORM may be better/more performant, but this was a simple drop-inn solution for me, with a near 0 learning curve.

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Probably because EF Code First (CTP4, specifically) is very “dasblog” like. It’s simple, lightweight, and clean. I’m impressed you got this far, Paul.

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM

You can bin deploy SQL CE  and I *think* you can do the same with the EF Features CTP, so I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work on existing hosting accounts.

On the EF vs Other ORM, since your using Code First with just POCO there isn't anything that would prevent the creation of an additional/alternative IFeedbackDataService that uses Nhibernate or another ORM should there been the need to do so.