original dasblog.info files evaporated?

Topics: Support Request
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:10 AM

I am just getting started with dasBlog. It seems there used to be documentation files hosted at dasblog.info that are no longer anywhere on the Web. For example: A Bing or Google for for the text "Click-through is an optional feature that tracks clicks" will return just one result:

dasBlog - Configuration
     dasblog.info/CategoryView.aspx?category=Configuration
     Click-through is an optional feature that tracks clicks through your
     page. All hyperlinks in your blog entry get replaced by a special link
     that lets the engine track it ...

But the link for this page is invalid and Google's cache is invalid for this page. The same is true for other searches for dasBlog features ("Enable Crossposting", etc.)

Does anyone have a copy of the pages that used to exist at dasBlog.info?

jpank

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:50 AM
Edited Dec 16, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Hi 

For the most part, all the content that was ever at dasblog.info is still there.

If any part was deleted, it was because it was not valid information, or was changed because of a latter version release.

The use of the dasblog.info local search function will turn up better information. Some of the individual release info files have hidden gems.

If you have a particular set of information you are looking for, let me know and I will find it for you!

(Note click-throughs tracking is turned on in the configuration page, then in your dasblog log files, you can see what parts of your blog are being clicked on,
Not really that useful, and not well documented.)
Also Click-through loging was/is a real server load, its  not meant to be left on all the time.

Also a search for "Weblog" on dasblog will show a copy of the log without "click-througs, which was not turned on in this sample report" the log report can be autmatically e-mailed to you, another feature that was cool, but not really that usefull after a few weeks. :-)

Tom

tom@tomwatts.com (I host and am intimately familiar with the data at dasblog.info)

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Tom,

Thanks. I found the documentation. At first I didn't try to search the dasblog.info site because of the notice "This site is the legacy home of dasBlog, it is now depreciated. Please see us at CodePlex." I couldn't find the docs at codeplex, so I was using Google to search for different features. Google kept coming up with results pointing to a page on dasblog.info. But whenever I clicked on any of these links, the page would not be retrieved.

After finding the docs I was looking for, I tried re-running some of these searches on Google and specifying to just search dasblog.info. If I run any of the searches below and click on the first result that comes back, the page still does not get retrieved. I don't know why this is happening. I can find these pages by searching using the search feature on dasblog.info and then the page is retrieved OK.

Google Searches:

1.     "Aggregator Bugging" site:dasblog.info

2.     Clickthrough site:dasblog.info

3.     "Cross-posting" site:dasblog.info

John Pankowicz

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Hi,

I tried a few of the searches you mentioned both on Google and Bing, and they all worked fine???

Maybe your searches trained Google on those strings, I don’t know.

Good luck with dasBlog.

I don’t blog with it myself much these days, but I use the code (custom), a lot for other peoples sites.

I will be the first to admit I don’t use 80% of the more esoteric features.

Either they are not that useful or they are still buggy or they were the hot features of the day that did not last or stand the test of time. (the Blogroll for example, or e-mailing your post)

Cheers

Tom

Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 9:29 PM
To: tom@tomwatts.com
Subject: Re: original dasblog.info files evaporated? [dasBlog:283165]

Tom,

Thanks. I found the documentation. At first I didn't try to search the dasblog.info site because of the notice "This site is the legacy home of dasBlog, it is now depreciated. Please see us at CodePlex." I couldn't find the docs at codeplex, so I was using Google to search for different features. Google kept coming up with results pointing to a page on dasblog.info. But whenever I clicked on any of these links, the page would not be retrieved.

After finding the docs I was looking for, I tried re-running some of these searches on Google and specifying to just search dasblog.info. If I run any of the searches below and click on the first result that comes back, the page still does not get retrieved. I don't know why this is happening. I can find these pages by searching using the search feature on dasblog.info and then the page is retrieved OK.

Google Searches:

1. "Aggregator Bugging" site:dasblog.info

2. Clickthrough site:dasblog.info

3. "Cross-posting" site:dasblog.info

John Pankowicz

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Hi,

The problem is caused by how both Bing and Google perform the searches. I tried running these searches again today and got different results.

Today, Google gave me the same search results as before for these searches, but this time when I clicked on the links, it took me to the correct page instead of a blank page. But if I then clicked on "Back", it took me to the same blank page as before. For a while now, everytime I click on a Google search result, it re-directs me first to another Google URL before sending me to where I want to go. (Is it doing this with everyone?)  For some reason the redirects were failing before for dasblog.info.

I tried the searches with Bing. Bing just continued to not find any results for those three searches. But if instead of typing "Clickthrough site:dasblog.info", I went to their advanced search page and entered "dasblog.info" on the "Site/Domain" tab, I got different results. It found the pages it should have found. If I at that time entered a search of "Clickthrough site:dasblog.info", it worked. And from that moment on, all of the above searches started working in Bing.

I don't know if this is some form of "intelligent training", these search engines are using or if it is just a bug. I only wish the search engines would give me the same results each time I run them, even if the results are wrong. That is much easier to deal with than this mess.

John

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM

John, interesting and happy to listen to your pain, but since I am not in the SCEO business etc. etc.

I have nothing really concrete to contribute.

We did change the link structure of the dasBlog.info site a couple of times years ago.

The URL re-writing and then we changed to spaces in Title Permainlinks. (I think we even played with Unique Title); We did learn you should choose one or the other and not fool around with it!

Since this site has been static for years, maybe the web crawlers do not update from the first scan/s years ago, until somebody like you comes along an actually hits a broken link???

That’s the only guess I have, especially if you are experiencing these types issues only at dasBlog.info

Also I never updated dasBlog.info past version 2.1, as it was not actively being blogged on, maybe an old bug is lurking here???

Cheers

Tom