Caching Issues in release 2.1.8102.813?

May 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM
I think there may be several issues with caching and this project.

I notice that when I change templates via the template dropdown fairly frequently when I navigate between pages I need to press CTRL+F5 to see the new theme applied.

This also causes an issue with the sign in page (I think)

When I go to the sign in page fairly frequently I see that it is displaying the previous theme I had selected. Not the current theme. However I can see using firebug that the request for login.aspx is going to the server and returning 8245 (compressed) bytes.

If I try and login like this I get an error message and the following message appears in the logs " Password Challenge was null in ViewState!" If I go back to the login page and press CTRL+F5 the page appears with the correct theme and my login attempt works.

Somewhat more disturbingly though I viewed the site on a computer which I had never previously logged in as administrator on and yet the page said I was signed in as blog admin and showed all the admin links (though clicking on them led to access denied errors) so I conclude it's showing cached pages to the wrong users.

Is there a setting to turn caching off?
Coordinator
May 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM

#1 This is not an issue for only the latest release, it is part of all dasBlog versions.
#2 Caching is very aggressive in dasBlog to enable massive scalability for readers, some have over 25,000 readers a day.
#3 You can't turn off caching.
#4 The issues if you want to call them that are well known. 99% of blog users only allow one theme, or customize their own. The theme select was primarily designed to allow a review of available themes, but I/we do not recommend its use on a public site.

While I agree it would be nice if the system was designed with the theme selector not being impacted by the caching, it is a fact, and most probably will never be addressed.

Cheers
Tom

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:58 PM
Hi Tom,

Fair enough. Preselecting a defined theme won't be an issue. I guess this may also stop the various view state tree incompatibility errors I am seeing in the logs?

However the issue where the non admin user sees the page generated for the administrator (including all links to admin functionality and links to language specific posts that don't apply to that client) seems quite a biggy to me.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM
Most of the view state errors in the logs, are attempts to compromise your system. A number of automated comment and link back spammers attempt to gain access to dasBlog, the bain of being open source and well known.
As to the other issue, I believe they are only dead links, and that doesn't bother me. Of course that's something I don't see much without the theme selector.

I guess it's a take it or leave it or improve it situation.

Tom
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2008 at 7:12 AM
Yes, Tom's right on. I just set the theme and leave it.

And nearly all ViewState errors are bots.