web.config Problems

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:29 AM
It has been a couple of years since I worked with web pages, so I may still be a bit rusty...  I am having problems getting this to work.  When I try to run the page, I receive one error after another on the web.config page.  After I delete (I deleted, because IIS does not seem to like the rem'ed statements) out the lines that are causing the errors, it will load the page.  However, the page has no formatting and it only plain text.  Every time I click on a link I get a dead page.  Plase help me figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks,
Barrett
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2008 at 3:15 AM
You should not have to edit your web.config at all. 

The three main failure points are:

• Virtual Diretory created correctly with ASP.NET 2.0
  • Permissions as required on the required three directories
  • site.config setup issues
This is either a combination of a VD issue and/or configuration error like a <Root>http://localhost/DasBlog/</Root> issue, with your "site.config" file in the SiteConfig directory.

Make sure you have the minimum required settings updated, ie your proper root domain address. While localhost will resove to the correct IP, the host header will not be right.

If this is not one of the above problems, please give more details!
Jun 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM
Thanks for making me take a closer look at that...  It was a complete bonehead move on my part.  I did change localhost to my server name, but I neglected to notice that by default the config was set to DasBlog and the directory on my server was dasblogce.  I added the 2 extra letters, change the .NET run version back to 2.0 and that did the trick.

Thanks for the help!!!