Web Farm and disconnected data layer

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:42 PM
I am looking at running dasBlog in a clustered environment. If I was to use the current solution then I think there would have to be some sort or locking process for the XML data. In a shared data store with multiple Front End applications I don't think this could be done in the code and would require a lock file in the shared store.

Has anyone attempted or looked at disconnecting all data access and encompassing it into a web service?
Or has anyone deployed dasBlog in a Web Farm environment?

Thanks,
--Karl
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM
DasBlog was explicitly designed for a single machine. Everyone I've talked to who's tried to get it working on a WebFarm has suffered greatly. Most small blog engines have this problem. Why do you need it in a WebFarm? It scales pretty nicely on modest hardware.
Aug 4, 2008 at 1:35 PM
I am just moved my site to a clustered environment (Mosso.com). I am running into weird issues. Will dasBlog 2.1 support this environment?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Reeder
http://StupidProgrammer.com

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure weather 2.1 will support. But it's unlikly, DasBlog uses a lot of caching of its objects. Is your clustered environment for fail over or load balancing?  If you want it in a clustered environment you will need to setup a web service and override all the serialization calls. Where all serialization/file access occurs, invoke the web service instead to perform the task, I.e. pass XML strings over the web service as opposed to serializing direct to the files. Use Essentially all the front end servers in your farm will see the web service as the content folder. For the session and caching in the web farm, Change it to Out of Process 'StateServer' and setup an ASP .NET State Server so all the farm nodes can call the same state holder.

This has only been tested in a fail over environment, if you implement, let me know how it goes on a load balanced config.

Cheers,
Aug 4, 2008 at 6:00 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2008 at 11:26 AM
-
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2008 at 5:23 AM
If by clustering you mean a webfarm, as in two instances of Dasblog, then Karl is right. DasBlog is simply not designed for that. Although, it's POSSIBLE you could use DFS and put the Content and SiteConfig folders under DFS, but you're really unsupported at that point. Most blogs just don't need to be clustered.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM, karl1980 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,
I'm not sure weather 2.1 will support. But it's unlikly, DasBlog uses a lot of caching of its objects. Is you clustered environment for failover or load balencing? If you want it in a clustered environment you will need to setup a web service and override all the serialization calls. Where all serialization/file access occurs, invoke the web service instead to perform the task, I.e. pass XML strings over the web service as opposed to serializing direct to the files. Use Essentially all the front end servers in your farm will see the web service as the content folder. For the session and caching in the web farm, Change it to OutProc and setup an ASP .NET State Server so all the farm nodes can call the same state holder.
This has only been tested in a fail over environment, if you implement, let me know how it goes on a load balenced config.
Cheers,

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM, clreeder <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I am just moved my site to a clustered environment (Mosso.com). I am running into weird issues. Will dasBlog 2.1 support this environment?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Reeder
http://StupidProgrammer.com

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Scott Hanselman
http://www.hanselman.com
Aug 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Thanks Karl & Scott!

Due to my host, I am going to have and move away from dasBlog. I have ran it for 4-5 years and it has been great! Thanks guys for making a great product!