Trackback Question

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:59 PM
This may be a newbie-ish question, but I'd like to get this figured out.

I never get trackbacks when someone posts a link to my blog.  About 15 minutes ago I was alerted by email from a friend that someone responded with their own blog post to a post I had written.  Isn't that the point of trackbacks?  I am supposed to get emails on trackbacks and never do, what's up?  Do I need to set up something for trackback to work?

Tim
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2008 at 12:45 AM
I suppose that you have the e-mail features turned on, and other e-mail features work, like the "Weblog Daily Email Report", if your not getting those, then this might just be an e-mail issue?
I believe that by default the trackback services is turned on, but it could be turned off in your configuration file? Are you receiving the trackbacks, but just not the e-mail??
Jun 17, 2008 at 2:54 AM
I get the "Weblog daily email report" about once a week.  I figure my site is not trafficked enough to be running when the process get's kicked off, I could be wrong.

You asked "Are you receiving the trackbacks, but just not the e-mail?" - and to that I must say that I don't know, how do I verify a trackback?  I'm definitely not getting the email but the trackback I'm not so sure, I want to say no, but allow me to verify.
Jun 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Turns out that trackbacks are received but they are all seemingly blocked, I set up a test from an old blog I had, and sure enough in the logs this is what I saw:

Info TrackbackBlocked:
Trackback blocked for Funny Bill Gates Video from http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/timbarcz/archive/2008/06... originating at IP Address 66.77.24.121 because the server did not return a valid response

Why is every trackback blocked, even legitimate ones?