dasblog, the next generation?

Topics: Developer Thread
Jul 25, 2008 at 1:21 AM
Hi dasblog team,

I am just curious if you have laid out the plans for the next release(s) of dasblog.  My searches for a roadmap turned up null.  Are you guys in a position to share the vision?

thanks a lot

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2008 at 3:51 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM

OK, I will take a stab at a reply...

I am not sure you could say the dasBlog team has a vision...
We are a very much laid back group.

Most contributors are making the changes they want to see in their blog, or adding features that have a cool factor for them. For others like me this is just a hobby, that I only have limited time for.
That is one of the reasons you will find tons of hidden features that work, but are poorly documented, example “Geo Coding, or the half dozen new macros that are largely undocumented.
Having said the above, dasBlog is now a pretty mature product, even if it still has a few bugs and feature usage gaps but for the most part it does what it is intended to do.

Of course from an internet perspective, dasBlog is now about a hundred years old, and a lot of people want to inject new technologies and other peripheral features, photo albums, other data storage options etc. etc.

Those are all well and good, but nobody currently on the contributor team has the time to do the complete overhaul that would be required, and there is no real return on investment to do so.

So, I would say that soon we will release 2.11, which will resolve 95% of documented issues, and add a few more features.
Then we will see, if the community really wants to continue with the dasBlog march at its current slow steady pace, or if somebody out their wants to kick start our development. 

If you’re that kick start agent, we will be looking for you.

Tom
(Just one contributor amongst many)

P.S.
I will commit to releasing 2.11 in the near future, some more testing required, I am keeping the daily builds upto date, anybody testing or using those, your feedback is appreciated!

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2008 at 9:38 PM
That's pretty well said, Tom!

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 9:29 AM, <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

OK, I will take a stab at a reply...

I am not sure you could say the dasBlog team has a vision...
We are a very much laid back group.

Most contributors are making the changes they want to see in their blog, or adding features that have a cool factor for them. For others like me this is just a hobby, that I only have limited time for.
That is one of the reasons you will find tons of hidden features that work, but are poorly documented, example "Geo Coding, or the half dozen new macros that are largely undocumented.
Having said the above, dasBlog is now a pretty mature product, even if it still has a few bugs and feature usage gaps but for the most part it does what it is intended to do.

Of course from an internet perspective, dasBlog is now about a hundred years old, and a lot of people want to inject new technologies and other peripheral features, photo albums, other data storage options etc. etc.
Those are all well and good, but nobody currently on the contributor team has the time to do the complete overhaul that would be required, and there is no real return on investment to do so.

So, I would say that soon we will release 2.11, which will resolve 95% of documented issues, and add a few more features.
Then we will see, if the community really wants to continue with the dasBlog march at its current slow steady pace, or if somebody out their wants to kick start our development.

If you're that kick start agent, we will be looking for you.

Tom
(Just one contributor amongst many)

P.S.
I will commit to releasing 2.11 in the near future, some more testing required, I am keeping the daily builds upto date, anybody testing or using those, your feedback is appreciated!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Scott Hanselman
http://www.hanselman.com