Couple of patches - URL dashes, and home page filter exclusion

Topics: Developer Thread
Developer
Aug 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone involved with moving the behemoth that is dasBlog over to CodePlex.

I have been using dasBlog for ages to run a website for one of my hobby projects http://www.playerpal.com (warning: I wrote it years ago to learn .NET, Reflectoring may cause nausea).  However, I have decided to take the plunge and start blogging over at http://bentaylor.org/ (also on dasBlog).  I created two patches before I put it up, and wondered if they are worth submitting. 

The first is the ability to use the "-" character as the Post Title Permalink spacer.  I have written the change up here http://bentaylor.org/dasBlog-Patch-Add-Choice-Of-Dash-For-Post-Title-URL-Spaces.aspx (no good for you guys with wild URLs but may be useful for new users).

The second is a change to the Home Page Category Filter.  I wanted all posts on the homepage except ones categorized as Page.  So, I have change the home page filter to support this "-Page".  The "-" in front of the category indicating you want all on the home page except the category "Page" (does dasBlog already have something like this?)

I will submit them after a bit more live action on my blog.  Does anyone think they are worth submitting? (before I do through my rigorous patch release process)

Cheers,

Ben

PS I am flying over from the UK to the LA PDC.  Any one up for a dasBlog beer?
Developer
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM
Hi Ben,

I would love to see both features added to dasBlog. Please submit them!

Does the "dash" patch break old permalinks that contain plus signs?

Best regards,

Alex
Coordinator
Aug 28, 2008 at 6:24 AM
Ben, sounds good. The "-Page" feature sounds like a good one. Perhaps we can expand on the idea to allow users to select categories to show on the homepage using a checkbox list on the configpage?
Developer
Aug 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Edited Aug 28, 2008 at 9:28 AM
@Alexander
The dash patch should not break old permalinks.  The HTTP module responsible for the title permalink mapping (TitleMapperModule) will map both of the following URLs back to the same post:

http://bentaylor.org/dasBlog+Patch+Exclude+Single+Post+Category+From+Home+Page.aspx
http://bentaylor.org/dasBlog-Patch-Exclude-Single-Post-Category-From-Home-Page.aspx

In fact, you can test it on my blog (just be gentle).

@paulb
Sounds like a nice idea (esp. if it supported the reverse as well).  I went for the super-simple option so that I did not get too crazy with the UI (didn't want to panic anyone ;).  I have also been thinking about "invisible" categories.  This would be a category you could use in a filter but which would not display in any category UI widgets (like tag cloud).

@all
FYI - I have written up the filter patch, as it stands, here: http://bentaylor.org/dasBlog-Patch-Exclude-Single-Post-Category-From-Home-Page.aspx

I am off later to drive a combine for a few days, so wont get any of this submitted until next week.  Plus, both patches included a little re-factoring that removes some of the code duplication in dasBlog.  Only minor, but I will run that by you guys next week too.

Cheers,

Ben
Developer
Sep 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM
I have been struggling to get the patches in because of what turns out to be a bug in TortoiseSVN.  Thankfully, the Tortoise lead developer Stefan has fixed the bug, so I should get them in soon.  If anyone is interested, the bug is written up here http://bentaylor.org/The-Patch-Seems-Outdated-The-File-LineAnd-The-Patchline-Do-Not-Match.aspx

BTW - I have a whole host of changes and bugfixes I would like to make to dasBlog.  It would be easier to get commit rights and do them in a branch.  I would then merge them when approved by the high council.  What is the process for getting commit rights to dasBlog?

Ben
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2008 at 1:52 AM

OK Ben I will attempt to give my viewpoint on commit rights to dasBlog.

The way things are right now, only three people can add developers, Scott Hanselman, Omar Shahine and me, (Tom Watts).

First, I am fine if either Scott or Omar choose to add a developer based on their judgment. (Talent, Commitment, and being a team player are sort of understood requirements...)

Second, let me say that everybody should consider me an account/product manager type, I do not consider myself to be an official technical developer, and therefore, it is doubtful I will ever add somebody as a developer without major coordination.

So saying that, if any two of the current dasBlog developers contact me with a developer recommendation I will almost certainly concur, and add the person nominated.

From my perspective it’s as simple as that, but this is an uncoordinated response, so Scott or Omar may have different opinions. :)

Cheers
Tom

Developer
Sep 5, 2008 at 8:08 AM
Damn.  I have no talent and am not a team player! ;)

Thanks for giving me an idea of how it works Tom.  I was particularly curious because of the problems I had with patch creation (working on a branch would have solved that!).  However, this is no longer a problem (thanks to Stefan at TortoiseSVN). 

I am still interested in becoming a contributor.  However, I am guessing there will be some talk about what happens with dasBlog after 2.11 goes out the door (and attention turns to 3.0?).  So, I will hang fire until then (and I will submit the 4+ patches I have in the meantime).

Surely now Omar has had his head turned by Graffiti he no longer has the time for dasBlog politics? ;)
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2008 at 5:04 AM
I think both Ben and Paul are very active and interested, and have more time than Omar and I. I'm happy with where DasBlog is right NOW, but I reserve the right to jump in, in the future, in a frantic fury of coding. ;) I'm not going anywhere.

So who currently wants Commit rights?

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:08 AM, BenTaylor <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Damn. I have no talent and am not a team player! ;)

Thanks for giving me an idea of how it works Tom. I was particularly curious because of the problems I had with patch creation (working on a branch would have solved that!). However, this is no longer a problem (thanks to Stefan at TortoiseSVN).

I am still interested in becoming a contributor. However, I am guessing there will be some talk about what happens with dasBlog after 2.11 goes out the door (and attention turns to 3.0?). So, I will hang fire until then (and I will submit the 4+ patches I have in the meantime).

Surely now Omar has had his head turned by Graffiti he no longer has the time for dasBlog politics? ;)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Scott Hanselman
http://www.hanselman.com
Developer
Sep 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM
I am happy where dasBlog is too.  The few things I wanted to tweak, I have patched and posted (bar the "Page" functionality I wrote).  However, I have some time right now, as I am working on a skunk works project until the curtain comes down on the PDC.  So, right now I give myself a day a week for community bits, but after the PDC I may have to do some *real* work again.  Having said all that, if Commit rights are up for grabs and I can squeak the entrance exam, I am game.  Plus, recently I have started to ENJOY working on "legacy" code.  Something is very wrong with me.

@All
The CodePlex email system did not send me any of Scott's posts today.  I am subbed to Dev List and several specific discussions.  Is it just me, or are you having the same issue?  Also, when I email respond it regularly fails.  It may not be true, but it does *feel* to me that communicating on this discussion list has lost some of the SF email list mojo (I will feedback the specific issues to CodePlex crew, just wanted to see if it is "just me").

@Alexander
I have just submitted the URL patch mentioned above.  It is over here http://www.codeplex.com/dasBlog/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx, along with support for post description authoring in WLW and a "don't ping people when a post is not public" fix/change.

@paulb
I have not posted the -Page patch as I am not that happy with the implementation.  It works, but I think it smells a bit.  If you want to give it a bash, let me know and I will email it to you.

Ben

Developer
Sep 20, 2008 at 1:46 AM
These patches appear to be working for me as well. Just deployed them to the live server and played a bit. I really like to finally have dashes in my URLs!

Anyone else who gave these submissions a try?

Alex
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM
Ben,

I have just added you to dev team!

I also can't send e-mail to this discussion list, and I also did not get any e-mails today from Scott's posts.

I got your posts and Alex's, strange strange...

About dasBlog 2.2 release

I was planning to release 2.2 tomorrow, does anybody on team feel good with adding any of the latest patchs and releasing them as part of 2.2?????

Omar & I and some others have been testing current code and 2.2 is ready as is.

Cheers
Tom
Developer
Sep 21, 2008 at 7:13 PM
Thanks for adding me Tom!  Is there an oath or something I need to pledge? ;)

If you want to get the release out ASAP, it might be prudent to skip applying my patches.  Not that I think they are bad, just that they have not been in the wild for long.
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Adding Jonathan, the developer...JW, are there any known issues with notifications on CodePlex ListServs not making it out for some users?

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM, tomwatts <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ben,

I also can't send e-mail to this discussion list, and I also did not get any e-mails today from Scott's posts.

I was planning to release 2.2 tomorrow, does anybody on team feel good with adding any of the latest patchs and releasing them as part of 2.2?????

Cheers
Tom

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Scott Hanselman
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM
Does anyone want this little chunk of code? It goes in SingleCommentView.ascx.cs around like 206 (sorry, no patch file yet):

if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath) == false)
{
if (requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath == "identicon" ||
requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath == "wavatar" ||
requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath == "monsterid" ||
requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath.Substring(0, 4) == "http")
{
nogravpath = "&default=" + Server.UrlEncode(requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath);
}
else
{
nogravpath = "&default=" + Server.UrlEncode(requestPage.SiteConfig.Root + requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath);
}
}

It'll give you identicons, wavatars or monsterids RATHER than the standard boring no gravatar...see my blog for an example...

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM, AlexanderGross <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

These patches appear to be working for me as well. Just deployed them to the live server and played a bit. I really like to finally have dashes in my URLs!

Anyone else who gave these submissions a try?

Alex

--
Scott Hanselman
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2008 at 7:31 AM
I have a full day tomorrow, to go through all the submitted patches. I
think most of those shouldn't be added to the 2.2 release, since it's
extremely close. I'll add them to my local trunk and suibmit them when
the release is done.

Paul

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 02:20, shanselman <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: shanselman
>
> Does anyone want this little chunk of code? It goes in
> SingleCommentView.ascx.cs around like 206 (sorry, no patch file yet):
>
> if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath)
> == false)
> {
> if (requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath == "identicon" ||
> requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath == "wavatar" ||
> requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath == "monsterid" ||
> requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath.Substring(0, 4) == "http")
> {
> nogravpath = "&default=" +
> Server.UrlEncode(requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath);
> }
> else
> {
> nogravpath = "&default=" + Server.UrlEncode(requestPage.SiteConfig.Root +
> requestPage.SiteConfig.CommentsGravatarNoImgPath);
> }
> }
>
>
> It'll give you identicons, wavatars or monsterids RATHER than the standard
> boring no gravatar...see my blog for an example...
>
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM, AlexanderGross <[email removed]>
> wrote:
>
> From: AlexanderGross
>
> These patches appear to be working for me as well. Just deployed them to the
> live server and played a bit. I really like to finally have dashes in my
> URLs!
>
> Anyone else who gave these submissions a try?
>
> Alex
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> ([email removed])
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> [email removed]
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on
> CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts
> to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
>
>
> --
> Scott Hanselman
> http://www.hanselman.com
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> ([email removed])
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> [email removed]
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on
> CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts
> to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Developer
Sep 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM
---This is a test email reply, please ignore----

2008/9/23 shanselman <notifications@codeplex.com>

Adding Jonathan, the developer...JW, are there any known issues with notifications on CodePlex ListServs not making it out for some users?

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM, tomwatts <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ben,

I was planning to release 2.2 tomorrow, does anybody on team feel good with adding any of the latest patchs and releasing them as part of 2.2?????

Cheers
Tom

--
Scott Hanselman

--
Ben
Developer
Sep 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for us. Here is some extra information.

I have actually had two issues with the dasBlog discussion functionality on CodePlex. They are as follows:
-Unable to Reply to a discussion entry by email (also seen by tomwatts). Having said that, this must be intermittent or fixed as I just did a test email reply and it worked.
-Did not receive email notification of any of shanselman's numerous posts across the dasBlog discussions on Friday at 6:04 AM (his time?)

I also see that Scott's *missing* posts, do not show up in his recent activity list. Not sure if that helps.

2008/9/23 shanselman <notifications@codeplex.com>