Is dasBlog The Slowest Web Application?

Topics: Developer Thread, Support Request
Oct 3, 2008 at 2:38 PM

dasBlog is painfully slow.  Other users on the internet have said the same thing.  In fact it is so slow that I have never seen any application this slow during my 15 years as a developer.  What could be the reason?  Poor and Inefficient coding?  Bug?  Huge Web.config file?  Incorrect Installation?

It can take over 30 seconds for the home page to come up.  After that things do speed up, well, relatively speaking of course.  What do other users think?  Any ideas as to how to fix this problem which makes dasBlog pretty much unusable?

I have tried installing it on different servers, makes no difference, still very slow.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Sounds like you’re jumping to conclusions to me.

While I will be the first to admit dasBlog is no light weight on the code it loads, my experience has been that it is reasonability fast on initial IIS load and very fast on all subsequent loads which is all that is really important.

It has also been my experience that slow load times have always turned out to be poor implementations, either some misbehaving custom macro or more often a custom theme problem with a bad JavaScript call, or linked website application slow down.

About testing on numerous servers, I run dasBlog on 5 different servers, Godaddy.com hosting for dasBlog.info, my personal server for Robosaptient.com, several different private company websites with both II6 and II7 and I don’t see a real problem with any of those.

Good Luck

Tom
P.S. If you don't care about supporting mobile users, you can cut 95% of web.config out which supports mobile browsercaps, that might help.