Problems with Windows Live Writer Beta

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM
I just downloaded the 2.2 web kit files and I can access/post via the web interface. However Windows Live Writer Beta (14.0.5025.905) will not recognize this version (it was work with the 1.9 version I had installed).  I have to select dasBlog manually and then I keep getting a "Network Connection Error":  Here that latest entry in the WLW log:

WindowsLiveWriter,1.5160,None,00026,08-Nov-2008 16:12:59.653,"XML-RPC request:
http://localhost/blog/blogger.aspx
<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""utf-8""?>
<methodCall>
 <methodName>blogger.getUsersBlogs</methodName>
 <params>
  <param>
   <value>
    <string>...</string>
   </value>
  </param>
  <param>
   <value>
    <string>Keith</string>
   </value>
  </param>
  <param>
   <value>[removed]</value>
  </param>
 </params>
</methodCall>",""
WindowsLiveWriter,1.5160,None,00027,08-Nov-2008 16:12:59.653,"== BEGIN WebException =====================",""
WindowsLiveWriter,1.5160,None,00028,08-Nov-2008 16:12:59.653,"Status: ReceiveFailure",""
WindowsLiveWriter,1.5160,None,00029,08-Nov-2008 16:12:59.655,"System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.HttpRequestHelper.SendRequest(String requestUri, HttpRequestFilter filter)
   at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.XmlRpcClient.CallMethod(String methodName, XmlRpcValue[] parameters)
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.XmlRpcBlogClient.CallMethod(String methodName, XmlRpcValue[] parameters)",""
WindowsLiveWriter,1.5160,None,00030,08-Nov-2008 16:12:59.655,"== END WebException =======================",""
WindowsLiveWriter,1.5160,Fail,00031,08-Nov-2008 16:12:59.824,"WindowsLive.Writer.Extensibility.BlogClient.BlogClientConnectionErrorException: Network Connection Error - Error attempting to connect to weblog at:

http://localhost/blog/blogger.aspx

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.BlogClientBase.CreateAuthenticatedCredential()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.BlogClientBase.Login()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.BloggerCompatibleClient.GetUsersBlogs()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Detection.BlogAccountDetector.ValidateService()","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Diagnostics.LogFileTraceListener.Fail(String message)
   at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.Fail(String message)
   at System.Diagnostics.Trace.Fail(String message)
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Detection.BlogAccountDetector.ReportError(Exception ex, MessageId errorMessageType, Object[] errorMessageParams)
   at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Detection.BlogAccountDetector.ValidateService()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.Configuration.Wizard.WeblogConfigurationWizardPanelSelectProvider.ValidatePanel()
   at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.Configuration.Wizard.WeblogConfigurationWizardController.OnValidatePanel(Object panelControl)

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2008 at 3:24 AM
Hi Keith,

I could not replicate this problem. This may be an issue of your upgrade from 1.9 to 2.2.

I tested the release version of WLW (12.0.1370.325) on dasBlog 2.2 and it worked fine, then I installed and used WLW Beta (14.0.5025.904) which also worked fine with my dasBlog 2.2.

My prior upgrade was from dasBlog 2.1 to 2.2, and that may be part of your issue.

I would first remove all existing WLW accounts you may have related to the subject domain, and recreate them and/or delete WLW and reinstall.

If that does not help you might try a new upgrade strategy, i.e. new 2.2 site with only the xml content directly coming from the old site, and manually updating all configurations etc.

Good Luck.

Tom
Nov 9, 2008 at 5:02 AM
The 2.2 install was fresh.  I copied my orig inetpub\wwwroot\blog dir to blog.orig.  Deleted the vdir.  Installed the 2.2 bits, twiddled the VBS script (changed dasblogce to Blog) and ran it.  It ran successfully.  Then copied over my content, content\binary and log dir contents.  I then logged in and recreated my settings.  BTW I also had to massage FreeTextBox to get it to work.  The web file download includes version 3.1.6.348xx yet the web config redirect was for 3.1.6.3550?.  When adding a post via the dasBlog interface I got a plan text box with "<p></p>" in it.  So I downloaded the latest FreeTextBox from their site (3.2.x.x), dropped it into the Bin dir and updated the binding redirect in the web.config.  That fixed that particular issue. 

What's weird about WLW is that it looks like you guys added a WLW manifest file to the root of the dasBlog dir.  WLW should have found that and detected the blog engine was dasBlog.  Hmm.  I wonder if I do have b0rked WLW install.
Coordinator
Nov 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM
Hmmm strange.

I can confirm that we have 3.1.6.35504 FreeTextBox (FTB) in the Web.config and we have the older 3.1.6.34851 released in the Bin, but this is ignored as an issue on all my sites, no errors, no complaints.

I don't use the vbs VDIR create batch file, I do it manually with a few personal twists, but other than that I have the standard IIS6 install on a local machine, anything different about your environment???

Tom