Regret using spaces in permalink, what to do?

Topics: Developer Thread, Support Request
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:51 PM
I am using Dasblog v2.1 (http://www.healthquotes.ca/Blog/), and for quite awhile now have been using spaces (replaced with the '+' symbol) in the title.

I am now also getting into social media (finally!), and I have noticed that some social media sites really do not like the '+' in my URLs.

Has anyone else run into this? I.e. using the '+' symbol, and then wanting to get rid of it? I guess I would have to have 301 redirects for all of my existing blog articles?

So far I have been able to determine that IIS 7 doesn't like the '+' symbol, since it regards it as a double-encoded character sequence.
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM
There was a recent patch (probably made it in 2.3) which allows for replacing the + with a -, which most sites prefer.

But you can always switch to the url's without the + (i.e. My+Title becomes MyTitle) dasBlog will keep working for both types of urls.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM
Thanks Paul.

If i upgrade and use the dash instead of the plus sign then I have to implement quite a few 301 redirects, do I not?

Is there an easy way to do this in Dasblog? Maybe using regular expressions??

Martin
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM
No, you don't need to implement any 301's. The url/title mapper accepts all url variants ( +/-/'' ) and maps them to the correct post.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 19:24, crom84 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks Paul.

If i upgrade and use the dash instead of the plus sign then I have to implement quite a few 301 redirects, do I not?

Is there an easy way to do this in Dasblog? Maybe using regular expressions??

Martin

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM
Thanks again for the help Paul.

But if I have multiple URLs that map to the same content (e.g. same article) then I will have duplicate content, which is not a good thing!

Martin
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM
But dasBlog will only generate the current configured urls. You only have to deal with existing links, which the search engines will update soon enough.