Firefox XML error when using + sign in filenames

Topics: Developer Thread, Support Request
Mar 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM
When I click on a hyperlink to one of our blog articles I get the following error in Firefox: "XML Parsing Error: no element found".

IE seems to be fine, I only seem to get this error in FF.

For example, do a search (within quotes for exact match) for "Breast Cancer And Early Detection", there should be a link at the top of the returned results that links to "http://www.healthquotes.ca/Blog/2009/01/24/Breast+Cancer+And+Early+Detection+Part+II.aspx".

Clicking on the link in FF results in the error mentioned above.

Note that I am running DasBlog v 2.1, and it is running as an ASP.NET sub-application.

This is getting really frustrating!
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM
I think it's related to the search higlhighting script and a missing html closing tag somewhere. IE isn't as strict as Firefox.

I encourage you to install v2.3 since the version you're using is rather old.
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked at the latest releases here, and the latest version is 2.2.8279.16125.

Is there a v2.3 for download?

Martin
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2009 at 1:08 AM

2.2 is the latest release but the daily builds feature the next release 2.3 here:

http://dasblog.info/DailyBuilds.aspx

They really are not daily builds anymore, and  only semi automated these days, but generally fairly in synch with the repository.

Tom

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM
Thanks.

To let you know, IE also has problems, clicking on a blog article link in the search engines results in a 404 error (as opposed to FF, which yields an XML error).

The strange thing is: for both IE and FF if I click in the address bar and then hit <ENTER> the blog article then loads fine.

It is also ironic that I am using a much older version of DasBlog for our other site, and it doesn't have this problem at all (note that it is not using the URL Rewriting).

How sure are you that upgrading to 2.3 will fix this problem?? I am short on time, and it would be a drag if I upgrade just to see that this problem is still there.

Thanks again guys!!
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM
The official 2.3 is out now.
I agree with Paul that this should resolve the issue, this particular issue was discussed and addressed in one of the releases, but I can't remember when.

Upgrading is not so bad if you remember to diff "all" the configuration files and xcopy over everything else.

Tom
Mar 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM
I just isntalled 2.3, and I am getting the following error: "Unexpected node type EntityReference. ReadElementString method can only be called on elements with simple or empty content. Line 22, position 14".

To see this error message go to "http://www.healthquotes.ca/blog/".

I used WinDiff on all the configuration files, and merged any differences.

Help!!!!!!!!!!
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Looks like the site.config file is no longer valid xml.... if you want to email it to me, I can have a look and try to fix

paul.van.brenk (at) gmail (dot) com
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM
Thank you very much Paul, I just emailed you my web.config file.

I am checking out the config file myself, and it seems to be well-formed.

It certainly is a large file :)

UPDATE: silly me, I had a non-breaking space in the SubTitle node, i removed the space and the blog is alive!!!

Now to see if the original error is fixed!!!
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:55 PM
UPDATE: those strange IE/404 and Firefox/XML Parser errors are fixed with this 2.3 version!!! Yay!

Many thanks to both Tom and Paul, their response time was very fast.

Once again, danke!!!!

Martin