DasBlog and IE8 Compatibility

Topics: Developer Thread
Mar 14, 2009 at 8:07 PM
Hi Folks, just upgraded to the last official release (2.2.8279.16125) and notice Internet Explorer 8 is still prompting me to press the Compatibility View button. When I do, there are subtle layout changes. Is there any plan to make DasBlog more 'friendly' to IE8...?

Thanks -- still lovin' DasBlog wholly -- completely rocks.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM
"Is there a plan"; (for upgrading themes for IE8)

"PLAN",  Might be a little bit strong for this particular open source community :)

But I will say that we are activly working on all controls being completely xhtml, and themes are somewhere on the list, but it's a long list.

Suffice to say the next release 2.3 will not have much inprovement in theme support, other than the controls will be better.

Having said the above, if you really want your theme to shine (one out of the box or a custom theme), 2.3 will make it easy for you to audit for xhtml compliance and update the html or css as needed.

You should be able to get most any theme 99% good with a little effort, the problem is we have over 28+ themes created by many people for IE6. Where to start, and who voluenteers?

Cheer
Tom
Developer
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:50 PM
FYI I have some changes pending to increase our XHTML compatibility.  I haven't committed yet because I didn't want to break the 2.3 release.

If anyone notices any specific problems with the themes please create a bug and I'll try to move it to the top of the list.  I have a felling that getting IE6 and IE8 compatibility isn't going to be simple, but not its not impossible. 

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Should we still support IE6? I vote to drop support.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:52 AM
Although my site is hardly blazing - about 15% of the traffic on my site is still IE6 - which sucks (mainly from the number of XP boxes out there that refused to upgrade to Vista).
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:07 AM
Corporate still requires IE6.  It is the browser to that refuses to die.  There are ways of making things work for IE6, IE7, IE8, and FF.

According to the w3schools survey, IE6 still accounts for 17%+ (but decreasing).  IE8 is < 1%.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I'll help with some theme transitions if there's some good guidance for what to do.

Tim
Mar 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM
Let me know how I can assist -- would love to give back to the community.
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM

As a quick and dirty fix, I have added the IE7 compatibility meta tag to each theme in changeset 18879. This will help until each theme is updated with specific fixes.

Tom