This project is read-only.

Is DasBlog still alive / active?

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM
Edited Aug 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Hi there,

I am an professional C# developer and looking for a blogging tool (written C#/.Net) for my new website. I found and set up DasBlog but not really sure if I should go on with it. Several issues makes me think this project is not really active neither maintained nicely:

• Hosting DasBlog in a subdir seems not really to fly (at least not without a lot of "investigation")
  • Image gallery does not really work (at least not on FF 3.5)
  • Kind of difficult to find out what some features are and how to get them work
  • User-Interface looks a little "patch-worked"
  • Documentation says "pretty self explaining" where it isn't and is not really complete (last update 2007)
  • Documentation is very confusing (probably because of the blog-style documentation)
  • Reading the forum shows many unanswered topics
  • Documentation-Link on CodeProject "Home" is wrong
  • DasBlog.net seems to be advertising now

Is this first impression just wrong and DasBlog is still a very active and lovely maintained project? Should one really start with DasBlog today? Can you recommend it?

Yes, I know that DasBlog is open-source, free and not a commercial / professional project. This is not to blame the project but to get a feeling about the state of the project at all. Finally devs interested may get some information out of this how to improve the first impression of the project.

Cheers,
Marc

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I would say all your observations are pretty accurate, dasBlog is a mature if not perfect product, and the core dev team have other interests, so the project is in low maintenance mode (my opinion).

But I will try to address some of the issues, while not recommending you stay or leave dasBlog.

Hosting dasBlog in a subdirectory is doable as long as the directory is a IIS Virtual root.

We don't really have an image gallery option, some image support but no image gallery, not even sure I know what you mean by image gallery?

Agreed many of the features and their are tons, are not well documented, all over the net, in the code, on the authors site etc.

Agreed on documentation.

User-interface is a project of thirty plus authors in a very disjointed process over many years, this app is the grand daddy of c# web apps and probably a poster child of how not do it.

User forum shows the public mind share has shifted to other products, agreed.

Link to documentation is what you get, that’s it, :-(

DasBlog.net has never really belonged to the project, the original company that sponsored the initial version in Germany had no interest in continuing and let it go back to the public, we tried get it without luck.

So your impression is about right, we now only have two or three people working sporadically on dasBlog, your call if you join or not.

Cheers

Tom

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your open and fair-minded statements.

With image gallery I mean the button in the WYSIWYG-Editor looking like a "insert table" button in excel saying "Image Gallery" (I think). Using this toolbar button a pop-up window will open that looks like server-image-browser that show preview of images on the server etc. but does not allow one to select an image.

Currently I give other .Net blogging software a try / testing and see which one attracts me more.

Cheers,
Marc

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Well said, Tom! We are close to done, but not dead.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:05 AM, tomwatts <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I would say all your observations are pretty accurate, dasBlog is a mature if not perfect product, and the core dev team have other interests, so the project is in low maintenance mode (my opinion).

But I will try to address some of the issues, while not recommending you stay or leave dasBlog.

Hosting dasBlog in a subdirectory is doable as long as the directory is a IIS Virtual root.

We don't really have an image gallery option, some image support but no image gallery, not even sure I know what you mean by image gallery?

Agreed many of the features and their are tons, are not well documented, all over the net, in the code, on the authors site etc.

Agreed on documentation.

User-interface is a project of thirty plus authors in a very disjointed process over many years, this app is the grand daddy of c# web apps and probably a poster child of how not do it.

User forum shows the public mind share has shifted to other products, agreed.

Link to documentation is what you get, that’s it, :-(

DasBlog.net has never really belonged to the project, the original company that sponsored the initial version in Germany had no interest in continuing and let it go back to the public, we tried get it without luck.

So your impression is about right, we now only have two or three people working sporadically on dasBlog, your call if you join or not.

Cheers

Tom

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Scott Hanselman
http://www.hanselman.com
Sep 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

FWIW, I've written a dasBlog provider for BlogEngine.NET so you can use your dasBlog data without importing. More details here:

http://www.stevetrefethen.com/blog/dasBlogProviderForUseWithBlogEngineNET.aspx

At the very least, this makes it easy to play with BlogEngine.NET.