Initial Requests very slow

Topics: Support Request
Sep 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM

I recently updated my server with new hardware and moved from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2008.  My blog moved over okay and is working, but initial requests are unbearably slow.  The first request to the site often takes as long as 30 seconds to complete.  Initial requests to invididual pages can take 4-6 seconds, which is also too long.  After the initial requests things are fine (I'm presuming thanks to caching.)  I didn't have this problem with the old server.

I used failed request traces to diagnose that 4-6 second delays are during PageLoad execution, but that could mean a lot of things.  I have also established that it's not DNS or anything like slowing the requests down -- it is something in dasBlog.  I have other pages running off the same server that work fine.  Here's part of a failed request trace that show the main part of the longer slow down:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/88/tracef.png

The configuration is fairly stock.  I'm running whatever version is installed by the Microsoft Web Platrom Installer (looks like 2.3), with the only signficant departure being that the files are located on a different partition to make backups easier and I updated FreeTextBox to work with Chrome/IE8.  I also use a custom theme, but it's a simple adaption of one of the stock themes with no new javascript and no custom macros.  

Some things I've tried include keeping the application running pretty much all day, so that I know it's not ASP.Net re-starting or re-compiling or anything like that.  I've played with a lot of cache settings, so those are probably all messed up now.  Note that this problem pre-dates any of that, though.  This problem caused the cache config changes, not vice versa.  I've also tried nearly every possible way to do compression, including completely turning it off.

Any ideas how to correct this?

Coordinator
Sep 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Have you used the IIS7 web.config file that is provided in the last dasBlog release?

This web.config version supports the IIS7 default Integrated mode.

Other than that, I don't have a clue.

Cheers

Tom

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:14 AM

No good.  It's still slow.  

I think I'll grab the source and see if I can find the problem that way.  Perhaps rebuild the whole thing from scratch- that way I can trace through with Visual Studio and maybe get a better idea where the slow down is. 

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:53 PM

More news: switching to IIS6 compatibility doesn't help.  I was able to get some improvement by removing the monthly summary archive section ( newtelligence.drawArchiveMonths() ) from my template.  Now it's a little less slow, but still pretty bad. (I wonder if that method has to read through my entire archive? That could explain it and it wouldnt' show up in testing on an empty or nearly empty dev environment).

Also: if I were to submit a patch for updating to the newer 3.2.4 FreeTextBox that works with Chrome and IE8, would you be able to use it?