This project is read-only.

IIS7 on GoDaddy Security Problem

Topics: Developer Thread, Support Request
Sep 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Ok, I've read all the forums regarding setting dasBlog up on GoDaddy with IIS7 and so far NOTHING has worked.  I contacted GoDaddy support and all they say is my account is Medium Trust Level something, blah, blah, blah and they don't provide any support for dasBlog or any other app.  I even tried installing from the 'your applications' but even that gives the same security exception error.  If GoDaddy is going to provide that (your apps) type of access/feature they should support it but apparently they don't.

Every forum I read shows someone with the exact same problem but their solutions have not worked at all with my godaddy account.  I'm about to forget the whole thing but just thought someone here might be able to help?

I've already tried both the IIS7 web.config and the standard web.config distributed with dasBlog.  Neither one changed anything.  I created a folder from my root I called 'blog' with 3 folders under that for 'siteconfig', 'logs' and 'content'.  All folders were setup virtual as 'application root', 'anonymous access'.  Then, in GoDaddy's File manager, I changed the Permissions on all 4 folders to be Read and Write.  Then, I tried setting IIS7 to Classic mode first.  I am now regretting switching to IIS7.

After this, I copied every file from the dasblogce folder directly into my root/blog folder.  Every directory/file is definitely there now.  At first, I went with the web.config file that is already in the dasblogce folder and it did not work, security exception error.  I never opened the web.config file or modified any code in it.  However, I did modify the SITE.CONFIG file's root parameter as <Root>http://www.mynewdomain.com/blog/</Root> and I changed the notification email address.  That's all the code changing I did.

Then, I switched my IIS from Classic to Integrated and renamed the IIS7 config to web.config removing the initial web.config.  I then "recycled app pool" and tried logging into my blog at http://www.mynewdomain.com/blog/Default.aspx.  The only thing I get is a useless security exception "Server Error in '/' Application" screen that tells me nothing.  Leaving IIS7 in Integrated mode, I then switched back to the original web.config file and still the exact same problem.  I tried every combination of Classic/Inegrated with each web.config and nothing changed.

If I put a simple index.html file that displays "Hello World" in my root directory and then try to access it from IE, it works fine.  So, I know my domain has the basics setup.  If I move the index.html file into my 'blog' folder and access it from there, it works just fine.  Everything I expect to work does except for dasBlog.

I really would like to set this up to work and I have used previous versions of dasBlog on my own personal IIS5/6 server but never on GoDaddy.  Any help/ideas/hints anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!  I don't have much hair left to pull out.

Thanks,
mlheese@hotmail.com

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file. 

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Source Error: 

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: App_Web_gojoq1qk.24.cs    Line: 

Stack Trace: 

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]   System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0   System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +59   System.Diagnostics.ListenerElementsCollection.GetRuntimeObject() +212   System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.get_Listeners() +134   System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.Write

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Have you figured anything out for this with integrated mode? If you are just looking to run the blog and you don't care about integrated mode GoDaddy does offer an install of dasblog 2.3 but you have to have your hosting account with 3.5 and classic mode. But I need to run in integrated mode so I can't seem to get that figured out. I just keep getting the same exception that you have listed. One of the assemblies must not be ok for mediumtrust.

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM
The problem was GoDaddy and not dasBlog.

Apparently, my account was initially setup as an IIS6 server account. While looking over the various Blog software products available, I noticed that most of them only worked with IIS7. So, stupidly, I upgraded my account to IIS7. That was a huge mistake.

After upgrading to IIS7, I then tried installing dasBlog. Everything came back with a successful install, the directories were there, the files were there and everything looked good. However, when trying to access my blog, I kept getting a Resource not found Error. GoDaddy's support/help said they wouldn't do anything more than tell me to check my configs and settings and I did this many, many, many times.

I tried switching from classic to integrated and back again. I tried the IIS7 web.config file from dasBlog. I tried several other things I found from various forums. Nothing, absolutely nothing worked.

It turns out that the bargain deal on web hosting I thought I was getting from GoDaddy was not the 'deal' I thought. That account was a freebie hosting account GoDaddy sold me for almost nothing because I had several accounts with them. GoDaddy put some stupid restrictions on that account when using IIS7 that were apparently buried in the very fine print that I couldn't and didn't read. If I had kept the account an IIS6 account then these problems may not have occured.

The moral of my story is that GoDaddy is a nickel-and-diming-scheming company and I salute them for being able to stay in business this way. If you're going to use them make sure to read every single contract/sales form everything in full detail to completely understand what you are buying. The $1.99 per month deal I thought I was getting turned into an $8.99 per month plus I had to pay for canceling my old account and setting it up again.

It is almost cheaper and easier to just buy your own hardware/software and maintain it yourself. You don't get any surprises later that way, I guess.
Mike H

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 08:42:40 -0700
Subject: Re: IIS7 on GoDaddy Security Problem [dasBlog:225661]

Have you figured anything out for this with integrated mode? If you are just looking to run the blog and you don't care about integrated mode GoDaddy does offer an install of dasblog 2.3 but you have to have your hosting account with 3.5 and classic mode. But I need to run in integrated mode so I can't seem to get that figured out. I just keep getting the same exception that you have listed. One of the assemblies must not be ok for mediumtrust.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Sep 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM
Wow, that sucks. I really wish Godaddy would make it easier for Dasblog users.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:56 AM
To: Scott Hanselman

The problem was GoDaddy and not dasBlog.

Apparently, my account was initially setup as an IIS6 server account. While looking over the various Blog software products available, I noticed that most of them only worked with IIS7. So, stupidly, I upgraded my account to IIS7. That was a huge mistake.

After upgrading to IIS7, I then tried installing dasBlog. Everything came back with a successful install, the directories were there, the files were there and everything looked good. However, when trying to access my blog, I kept getting a Resource not found Error. GoDaddy's support/help said they wouldn't do anything more than tell me to check my configs and settings and I did this many, many, many times.

I tried switching from classic to integrated and back again. I tried the IIS7 web.config file from dasBlog. I tried several other things I found from various forums. Nothing, absolutely nothing worked.

It turns out that the bargain deal on web hosting I thought I was getting from GoDaddy was not the 'deal' I thought. That account was a freebie hosting account GoDaddy sold me for almost nothing because I had several accounts with them. GoDaddy put some stupid restrictions on that account when using IIS7 that were apparently buried in the very fine print that I couldn't and didn't read. If I had kept the account an IIS6 account then these problems may not have occured.

The moral of my story is that GoDaddy is a nickel-and-diming-scheming company and I salute them for being able to stay in business this way. If you're going to use them make sure to read every single contract/sales form everything in full detail to completely understand what you are buying. The $1.99 per month deal I thought I was getting turned into an $8.99 per month plus I had to pay for canceling my old account and setting it up again.

It is almost cheaper and easier to just buy your own hardware/software and maintain it yourself. You don't get any surprises later that way, I guess.
Mike H

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 08:42:40 -0700

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com