This project is read-only.

Help! My blog is being spammed!

Topics: Support Request
Jul 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I have a blog set up using dasBlog, and under the Services section of the settings, I have just the "Enable Click-Through" "Enable Webbugs for RSS" and "Enable Blogger/MovableType API" services checked. I have required approval for comments, and enabled captcha.

I have just noticed that my comments are full of spam. I tried loading up the blog in a browser I don't normally use (so it doesn't know about me at all, and shows me the blog as any other person would see it). I added a comment, and it didn't show up, which is presumably because it hadn't been approved.

I assume therefore, that all these spam comments are from people using trackbacks. Is this right? If so, how do I stop them? I don't mind legitimate trackbacks, but I don't want this spam.

If I can't restrict it, how do I stop trackbacks altogether? I presume it has something to do with these services, but as I don't really know what they all are, I'm not sure if I want them or not.

Please help! Thanks very much.

By the way, is there a simple way to delete the spam comments, without deleting the (few) genuine comments I have?

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM

The only really choice you have is to turn track backs off.  Its broken technology of the web these days.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM

The only really choice you have is to turn track backs off.  Its broken technology of the web these days.