This project is read-only.

Live Comment Preview not quite working

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is having this same issue. I couldn't find a post about it under the dasblog.info forums.

When I choose the "HTML in comments" settings under Configuration and save them they do not all work when entering a comment for a blog post. What I've noticed is all options I checked works except for the last one in the list.

So, for example, if I check "a", "em", and "strong" and then save those settings, I can use "a" and "em" but not "strong".

I'm using version 2.1.8102.813.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jun 12, 2008 at 1:13 AM
The first thing I would do is review your site.config file and see if all the html settings are being successfully updated by your configuration edit.

If not then we can assume some kind of configuration page edit bug.

You could really confirm that, if say "strong" is not set and you manually updated the site.config file and a subsequent test showed that all html features work.

Interested to hear what you find.

Tom
Jun 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Edited Jun 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM
The settings are being saved to the site.config file properly when editing through the Configuration section and when manually editing the site.config file as you suggested. The HTML tags set to true are displaying as the tags that can be used when entering a comment. Unfortunately, the problem still exists where I cannot use the last HTML tag selected.

I haven't looked at the source code yet because I wanted to see if this has already been addressed or if it is a new bug.

Thanks,
Jason

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Any idea about this one?

Thanks,
Jason
Jun 24, 2008 at 4:06 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2008 at 5:03 AM
Hi Jason,

Is dasblog not allowing the comment or is it the live preview that doesn't work?

It looks like that version of dasBlog might have shipped with an old version of the live preview javascript.

Check if your scripts/LiveCommentPreview.js file looks like this:
LiveCommentPreview.js from changeset 13695

If not replace it from the one in the link and that should fix the problem for you.

-TonyB
Jun 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Hi Tony,

When I started this post I thought it was a problem with the configuration not saving. After going through it more I realized I needed to change this Discussion title to represnet the actual problem. So it is now "Live Comment Preview not quite working".

From what I can tell the .js file is the same, but I have to see the code by viewing the source of the page and removing some of the HTML in order to compare it to my version. So I may be missing something. Is there a reason why clicking your link won't show the code in the browser?

The configuration settings are saving correctly and the comment is saving/displaying correctly. The problem is the live comment preview. When you use the last HTML tag in the list (currently <strong> for my blog comments) the live comment preview will not display correctly.

You can go here to see what I am describing.

http://jasonfriend.com/CommentView,guid,1b4fd04e-e257-4588-8e73-22d7f0d6ad6a.aspx#commentstart

Thanks,
Jason
Jun 24, 2008 at 4:26 PM
Looks like your right.  I was running the old version and it worked fine, it is the new version that is broken.

I checked in a fixed version.  You can download it here:
http://www.tonybunce.com/scripts/LiveCommentPreview.js 

Let me know if that doesn't fix it.

-TonyB
Jun 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM
That did it. I didn't have a chance to look at it, but I figured it would be something easy like that.

Thanks Tony!

Jason
Jul 13, 2008 at 7:01 AM
Cool. Tony, did we get this new LiveCommentPreview checked in here?
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:57 AM
Yep, it is in revision 13757.

It looks like we borrowed this code from SubText so we should probably pay it forward and submit a patch, I'm sure it is broken for them too