This project is read-only.

How to get Macro BlogTopPosters to refresh?

Topics: Support Request
Sep 9, 2008 at 9:43 PM
I am preparing to use dasBlog on our intranet to track and discuss an internal project over the next year(s).  Their will be a half dozen contributors.

I like the "BlogTopPosters" macro that lists the users and their post count and provides a link to filter for posts authored by that person. However what I see is that adding a new entry takes a while to show in the user stats generated by the macro and when clicking their name, the post does not show up in the list for a while.

Is their a setting or any control of this behaviour so the macro output will show the proper stats immediately? I haven't recognized anything in the online configuration that appears related but I'm not a blog expert either.

Thanks for any help.
Sep 10, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Hi Eric,

OK take this with a grain of salt as they say, but:

I don’t believe this is a configuration issue or a “BlogTopPosters” issue, more likely this delay is part of the web/IIS/dasBlog experience.

First extensive caching of content is designed IN to support large reader bases, and second your IIS server also has a default 20 minute cache.

So things can be considered to be kind of slow, but this is not a traditional database, a chat room or an IM, it’s a blog, which expects posts to be generated one after the other in serial fashion.

The contributor/multiuser capability is a bolt on the does not change the real character of dasBlog as a single user system.

Some options; you can reduce the IIS recycle time or you can recycle just the dasBlog( IIS app pool) if you have the IIS control, and that action does not impact other web server applications form entry, or you could just educate your user base and live with it!

Cheers

Tom

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:18 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the info.  I will be leaving it as a user education issue for now.

We're making a pilot out of using dasBlog for a project tracker, hopefully we're not stretching the spirit of dasBlog too far from its design.  I think it could be really useful with the use of categories, searching, and document upload ability.

Thanks again,
Eric