This project is read-only.

Older Posts Newer Posts

Topics: Support Request
Oct 2, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Just installed the 2.2 RC2 build 2.2.8272.15996 on a local test installation.

The content of the test install is a backup of the content from my live site, and I'm still seeing a problem with the Older Posts Newer Posts macro. From the home page, clicking on Older Posts.. takes me back to the oldest page of all posts - the very first post I made in 2004 - skipping all pages in between.

I can't remember what the first version of dasBlog was I used in 2004 - but is it  possible I missed something during an upgrade? Is there a problem with the content repository?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. I've temporarily put the DrawPostPagingPrevious() and DrawPostPagingNext() back on the live site if you'd like to see it in action at http://www.58bits.com/blog
Oct 4, 2008 at 6:29 AM
Solved... I was still using the default settings for...

Max. Days on Main Page    <FrontPageDayCount>8</FrontPageDayCount>
Max. Entries on Main Page <FrontPageEntryCount>50</FrontPageEntryCount>

Since my blog only has 61 posts... I was seeing the 'Max. Days on Main Page' - just 8 day entries, but actually paging by 50 (so it appeared to be jumping over all the posts in between).

If I've got this right.... this will happen to anyone using dasBlog once they have more than 8 day entries?

Maybe the defaults could be changed in time for 2.2 RC2? I set mine to 10 and 10.

Best,

Tony



Oct 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM
Nice one... and good catch.

Yes, the default should be changed before release... but the logic should also take the homepage into account, start on post 9 for page 2. I'll have a go at that logic  this week if I have time, but I don't think this should holdup the current release.
Oct 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Out of curiosity (and I'm probably a tad slow here)...  but is 'Max. Days on the Main Page' actually needed if there is a 'Max. Entries on the Main Page'?

Thanks for offering to look at this Paul...
Oct 4, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I believe both values are used to limit the posts on the home page, whichever comes first is actually used.

--

Alexander Groß

http://therightstuff.de/

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:03 AM
The defaults were changed in time for release 2.2.

Max. Days on Main Page    <FrontPageDayCount>10</FrontPageDayCount>
Max. Entries on Main Page <FrontPageEntryCount>10</FrontPageEntryCount>

Thanks
Tom
Jun 9, 2009 at 7:16 AM
BTW, I just hit this...WEIRD.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:03 PM, tomwatts <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: tomwatts

The defaults were changed in time for release 2.2.

Max. Days on Main Page    <FrontPageDayCount>10</FrontPageDayCount>
Max. Entries on Main Page <FrontPageEntryCount>10</FrontPageEntryCount>

Thanks
Tom

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dasBlog@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com




--
Scott Hanselman
http://www.hanselman.com
Jun 10, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Hi Scott

Looks like you posted a bunch of posts on the same day - 2009-06-05. So you might want to double check your Max. Days on Main Page   
and Max. Entries on Main Page settings. I'm still not 100% sure if there's a bug here or not or which value is used for paging (perhaps whichever is greater) ... but since I rarely post more than once a day. I've set them both to 10 - and have not had a problem since then.

--
Anthony Bouch
http://www.58bits.com

 

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:07 AM
There is a bug in the code.. .(or several). Our paging code in sharebasepage.cs doesn't take the different number of posts between the frontpage and the other pages into account.

I'm going to have a look at this, but not sure what timeframe.. I'm aiming for sometime this week.


Jun 10, 2009 at 5:25 AM
Checked in a fix.... would appreciate if someone has a look..

This fix ignores filters (language and category) but the old code didn't look at those....

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Hi Paul - I'll check this out and do some tests - from purely a UAT point of view if that's ok. I'll try a few combinations of Max. Days on Main Page  and Max. Entries on Main Page and anthing else you think we should test.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:16 AM
sounds good, the page should also give reasonable results when either is 0.

We have to decide what we want to do with the category filter and the max. days on front page.. that makes the paging logic a lot more complex.
Jun 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Ok after some initial tests - I was able to create at least one paging problem. Really not sure if this helps - but I created about 30 posts - all labeled and numbered creating same day posts, previous day posts and then one on each day going back for about 15 days.

My combination of a paging 'fuzz' tests that caused the problem was...

Max. Days on Main Page: 15

Max. Entries on Main Page: 15

Entries per Page (when show all entries in categories is false): 5

When set as above - the last 11 posts in the repository were missing.

I've emailed a Zip of my test repository and SiteConfig, set to run on localhost/Dasblog from Trunk