This project is read-only.

Cache or No Cache, I still think it is a strange animal

Topics: Developer Thread, Support Request
Jan 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Hi,

I have experienced the following scenarios:

1. My wife makes a post or two, she sees them locally(home network) - I can't see them over the internet.
2. My wife makes a post, both she and I see the post - but after a while the post disappears! The content/dateXXXpostingfile.xml is missing
3. I make a post, press "Publish" - the post is gone - will probably show in a while

IMHO - this weirdeness can't be by design - it must be something strange going on. I'm aware of the caching - but that behaviour should be consistent, not random?!

I'm running the latest build on a Win 2008 IIS 7 machine using pipeline mode. I have made no code changes so far.

Question: Why don't have the post-count variable as a cache parameter? Thus invalidating the cache as soon as a new post is available?

// lazze
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM
Yes I agree it can be frustrating, the main time I have seen these type of errors, was when the initial xml file was uploaded from a CD or other computer and the OS "blocked" the file, while the directory had the correct permissions, the file does not work as expected. I have seen this at least four or five times, r/w seems to work, but not modify etc. or vice versa.

If you can get access or somebody can get access to the actual files and check on the blocking issue, that might help. Also you know that IIS does not recycle by default except every 20 minutes, with caching, sometimes it will be 20 minutes before things update, also you have to consider the local browser cache as part of this equation.

The product is scaled for many readers, a few writers and very infrequent updates. Its really not a database, its a blog.

Cheers
Tom
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:16 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Tom,

Thanks for your reply! I have the sever in my apartment, so I can get as fysical with it as I need to :-)

I work as a .NET developer at Logica, so I know about caching and cache issues - I'll check for file locks in the event log. The dasBlog log doesn't show any errors.

I will probably make my own version of dasBlog - I need a function for scaling(downsizing) pictures when uploading to post ... and there seems to be some issue when attaching large files as well.... (over 3mb) maybe there are some ways to invalidate the cache right after posting? ...and add a preview post page...

Cheers for now!

// Lazze

ps. Checked the App-Pool recycle on Win 2008 IIS 7, it recycles every 29hour :-) 1740minutes(but the WP will restart in 20 minutes). Is dasBlog using the Asp.Net chaching? or maybe the enterprise framework or is the cache "home made"? Are there any architecture documents available? ds.

pps.

What are the files "7788aedd-7c56-49f9-a352-4db038220f1aopenidConsumerTrace" that multiplies like rats in the homedir ? dds.
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I think I have nailed it!

I installed BlogEngine.NET in a new  virtual dir - and had the SAME strange cache behavior! I read the fineprint concering IIS 7 and BlogEngine "new and shiny app-pools WONT work with blogEnginge, switch to classic mode". So I switched to IIS7 classic mode for the app pools and now both dasBlog and blogEngine works as expected!

// Lazze
Jan 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM
Did you use the iis7 web.config when running in pipeline mode (ie. non classic) ?

Can you register this as an issue... so I don't forget to investigate.
Jan 24, 2009 at 6:53 PM

paulb,

Yes I was using the IIS7-Web.config file (can't start the app otherwise). Am still using the IIS7 web.config when running in classic mode.

Ok, I'll register it as an issue!

Have a good weekend!

cheers!

//Lazze