This project is read-only.

What is memory footprint for DasBlog 2.3?

Topics: Support Request
Oct 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Does anyone know approximately what the memory footprint is for DasBlog 2.3?

I have to switch plans, and our current web host is telling me that because of our blog I need a minimum of 2Gig of RAM on the web server. I find this very hard to believe!

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM

It will depend partly on the number of blog entries you have.

I had two relatively small blogs hosted at DiscountASP.net - who offer a great (albeit simple) service - however at one point I was exceeding the application pool's private memory limit of 200MB (set by DiscountASP.Net) and the app domain was restarting regularly. Your hosting company should be able to tell you exactly how much RAM the application pool's worker process (w3wp.exe) is using to host your blog.

In short - yes - dasBlog is a little memory hungry, but I'd be surprised if a  single blog even with quite a few entries would use 2GB of private memory.

Hope this help...

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Actually, I just signed up with DiscountASP.net ... I wasn't sure if I should go with Win 2003 or Win 2008, I decided to go with the Win 2008 and IIS 7 plan.

How did you overcome the memory limit and the app pool restarting?

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I guess I should have mentioned this in my reply above then.... but although they offer a great service (very good data transfer speeds, reliable, and a good control panel) DiscountASP.Net basically only offer 'one flavour' of hosting package - which is how they maintain such a consistent service I guess. The bad news is that they weren't able to change the private memory threshold - and so I had to move to another hosting company (ORCS Web - expensive but excellent). That said I was hosting two blogs and some photos stuff - so hopefully with a single blog you'll be ok. The support at DiscountAsp.Net was also very good - so if you ask them about this issue - they'll tell you what your current usage is. Also keep an eye on the log files for dasBlog - since that will tell you when the application is restarting. If you see it happening more than once a day - you may have a memory usage problem.

W2k8 and IIS7 is a good choice. DiscountASP.Net include the UrlRewriter plugin as welll so you can point more than one domain to your address and then use the IIS7 re-writer to send the request to the correct virtual application directory (I can give you some sample for this if you like).

Hope that helps.